A consortium of North Texas leadership programs will host the sixth annual North Texas Regional Leadership Day (NTRLD) on Tuesday, February 21, 2017, at Capital One’s Plano Conference Center, 7933 Preston Road, Plano, TX 75024, from 8:30 a.m. (registration) – 5:00 pm. The program will begin at 9:00 a.m. with the theme “The Intersection of Infrastructure and Human Capital.” Capital One is the presenting sponsor for the event.
Keynote speaker for the luncheon scheduled to begin at 12:15 p.m. is Jamie Vollmer, champion of public education and the author of the highly acclaimed book, Schools Cannot Do It Alone. Mr. Vollmer has spent the last twenty-five years working with school districts, education associations, foundations, and chambers of commerce across the nation to halt the erosion of public trust and build support for America’s public schools. Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD is the keynote sponsor.
Participants will hear from an impressive array of speakers on topics relevant to these themes:
- State of the Region by Stephen Telerico, Board Chair, North Texas Commission
- Navigating 9,286 Square Miles: The Future of Transportation in North Texas discussion with
- John Terrell, VP of Commercial Development, DFW Airport
- Duncan Webb, Collin County Commissioner
- Tim McKay, VP of Growth & Regional Development, DART
- Homelessness, Poverty and Public Perception discussion with
- Dr. John Siburt, President & COO, CitySquare
- Rick Crocker, CEO, The Samaritan Inn
- The Ever-Increasing Burden on Public Schools discussion with
- Dr. Bobby Burns, Superintendent, Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD
- Dr. Kent Scribner, Superintendent, Fort Worth ISD
- Chris Wallace, President, Texas Association of Business
- Dr. Thom Chesney, President, Brookhaven College
- Advocating for Children discussion with
- Vicki Spriggs, CEO, CASA of Texas
- Joy Rauls, Executive Director, Children’s Advocacy Center of Texas
- Dyann Daley, Executive Director, Center for Prevention of Child Maltreatment
- Necessity of Strong Leadership and Corporations’ Role in Meeting the Needs of the Community, by Sanjiv Yajnik, President, Capital One Financial Services
Steve Stoler, Director of Media Relations for the City of Plano, and former award-winning broadcast journalist, will moderate the program.
The Regional Leadership Day will offer current leadership class members and alumni from eight North Texas leadership programs an opportunity to learn about the issues that currently affect each of their communities. Furthermore, they will have numerous opportunities to interact, share ideas and discuss opportunities for collaboration.
In planning the topics for the session, the planners realized how critical the issues of population growth, education and transportation are to ensuring sustainable communities and services.
“North Texas Regional Leadership Day is an opportunity to increase awareness and understanding of issues requiring collaboration among our community leaders. The participants of our leadership programs spend the better part of a year learning about the challenges facing their individual communities. Regional Day challenges them to look outside the borders of their city and think about how they might work together as business, civic and nonprofit leaders across North Texas,” said Shannon Kmak, Leadership Plano and 2017 NTRLD Chair.
Participating programs include Leadership Allen/Fairview, Leadership Fort Worth, Leadership Frisco, Leadership McKinney, Leadership Metrocrest (Addison, Carrollton and Farmers Branch), Leadership Plano, Leadership Sherman, and MetroTex Association of REALTORS® Leadership Academy.
The public is also invited to attend the event. Tickets for the full day are $100; and tickets for lunch and the keynote speaker are $35. Tickets are available for advance purchase online and at the door on the day of the event.